Midlife necessities

Midlife necessities
Midlife necessities

Friday, September 12, 2014

I Think Therefore I Am Too Much

Life on the fast track is interesting. You have less time to think, which for me is probably a very, very good thing (if you know me you know I think too much). I took my first dog walk by myself since the surgery and it went well, I was able to handle both dogs and four bags of poop with no problem. The first phone call of the day was a bit surprising. It wasn't HR from the job I'm supposed to start on Monday (since they haven't called I'm thinking that they must have reconsidered and don't know how to tell me). It was to schedule my chemo! I thought I would have to get all my other appointments scheduled first. And I'm not quite sure why I thought chemo wouldn't start for another 4-8 weeks. I guess I'd better stop thinking because what I think isn't what's happening!

I was offered Fridays at 1:30, and that did not sound good to me. From my research it looks like the first few days after treatments are the hardest, so why  bounce back on a Monday after everybody's gone back to work? I told the scheduler that I don't want to be sick on the weekend, and she replied, "Now, now, we're going to be positive! Not everyone gets sick." Well I figure those people can have Friday appointments. I asked if there was an opening on Mondays, she sighed and checked and offered me Mondays at 10:30. Much better. I don't have a lot of control over what's going on, so I took control of my chemo days and time and feel pretty good about that. When I told Allie, she said, "Mondays suck anyways so why not go with that?". There you go. Haha

I have my radiation consult, chemo class, chemo oncologist follow-up and central line surgery on the books. Need to get my lab work done and a pnemonia vaccination. Still waiting for appontments for all the scans, but I'm scheduled for my first chemo treatment on Monday, Septmember 29, at 10:30. I already have a driver for the first day, and have started a rotation of friends who want to "experience" chemo with me. 

One of the next things I need to do is decide wig or no wig. I start chemo in two weeks, and hair usually starts falling out a week or two after the first treatment. Some great (and crazy) friends of mine want me to cut my hair short now and do something wild with it. I told them I'll wait until my hair grows back to do something since it will already be short. I cut my hair a few weeks ago and actually really like it right now so I'm going to take the time to style it and enjoy it while I can.
 
Last night I met my great (and crazy) friends for dinner. While talking I noticed a pretty woman with a bald head sitting a few tables away from me. I really felt like I wanted to talk to her, but didn't want to just walk up to her table and say "Hey!" It happened that she was in the restroom when Holly and I were too, so I grabbed her arms and told her, "I'm going to look like you in a few weeks." We hugged, she told us a bit about her situation, Holly told her she was beautiful, and I told her she looked great, and as we walked out of the restroom I told Holly that I guess now I'm part of the club.

Whether part of Club Pink or not, we all have our share of burdens, sometimes seen in a bald head or unseen in the body, mind or spirit. Remember Christ's words to us all, "I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment