Midlife necessities

Midlife necessities
Midlife necessities

Monday, October 20, 2014

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Pardon the pun, I couldn't resist.

Saturday, October 18, I got my crying out of the way early. Before Sherri came over with her electric razor, I looked in the mirror, brushed my hair, and told myself between sobs, "This is the last time I will brush my hair for a long time." Then I said, "Ow," because the brushing hurt! I took all of my hair products and tools and put them away. And that was that.

I wondered if there was a chance that my packages would arrive from Hats for You and The Breast Cancer Site. Earlier in the week I had ordered some scarves, a little cap to wear to bed, and some breast cancer merch. Well God sent me a sign that He was watching over me on hair shaving day because both packages arrived. Those tears were happy tears!

When Sherri came over in the late afternoon, I took an anti-nausea pill because I was a bit anxious, and some Tylenol in case the shaving would make my scalp hurt. We talked for a bit, and then we were ready. We went out to the backyard, I sat on a stool, Sherri plugged in the razor and asked, "What do I do? I've never done this before!" Well, I decided that prayer might help, because prayer always helps! So I prayed and we shared a few tears and then felt calm enough to proceed.

Sherri shaved and we talked and there were no more tears. Maddie watched me with those cocker spaniel eyes because she knows all about the razor! I looked down on the ground at my hair and almost felt more bummed at the amount of grey I saw instead of the amount of hair! We finished shaving upstairs in my bathroom, using the number zero setting. Andy told us that to get my head completely bald we'd have to use a razor and shaving cream, but I remembered that they don't even want you to shave anything with a razor and shaving cream because they don't want any chance of nicks. So I had to make do with a VERY short buzz cut! As I had hair all over my neck, I covered my catheter with a towel and stuck my head in the shower while my sweet and brave friend washed my nubs. We then pulled out all my hats and scarves and I tried them on and took pictures. I sent a photo of my new look, without a hat or scarf, to the girls and Gus, and they all responded with positive and supportive comments. Of course! I am so proud of my friend Sherri and grateful for her. The intimacy created by the entire experience is one that I don't think either of us will ever forget! 

I had more energy yesterday, and was able to enjoy a breakfast outing, a short dog walk, and lots of football. I wore my NY Giants cap all day, and then went bare at night. I really like to wear hats anyway, and now I can wear whatever I want whenever I want! I feel like I'm already used to the new "do", although it's weird to feel air instead of hair! Haha! I guess the tiny, remaining hairs will fall out soon enough, and then I'll have to get used to being completely bald.

Today is a trip to Kaiser for a dressing change and my last stomach shot in this series. I am looking forward to a visit from a good friend. And no matter what I look like on the outside, and what's going on with my body on the inside, I praise God because I am fearfully and wonderfully made! (Today's devotion verse, from Psalm 139:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment